1. When your friends ask you to hangout, and you don’t feel like it, don’t go. Don’t ever do things halfway or do something that makes you uncomfortable. With everything, give all of yourself, even the pieces you never knew existed.
2. It is okay to not know. Everyone always despises the phrase, “I don’t know” but no one tells you that it is okay to not know. The becoming is more important than the being, anyways.
3. If someone ever makes you feel less, in any way, you have every right to walk away. You have every right to cut out toxic people in your life. To close the door on people who make you feel bad about who you are or what you stand for. Friends don’t tear down, they build up.
4. Loss is always going to happen. Just like paint will always chip and rain will always fall, loss will always be part of life. No matter how much I don’t like it, or avoid it, it is going to walk my way at several times in my life. Learn to embrace it and learn to get closure.
5. Give yourself a chance. Stop saying, “I don’t think I can” or “But what if I am not able to?” and give yourself a chance. This may be cliche, but try to believe in yourself. When you get older, your knees won’t work the same and you won’t have the best memory, and you are going to wish you’d given yourself a chance years sooner.
6. Fall in love. Don’t be guarded before you fall in love. You could fall in love three times and still not find the right one, but none of it is going to make “the one” matter less. Don’t fall into that idea that your first love has to be your best love. Fall in love as many times as it naturally happens.
7. Firsts are going to be messy. First loves, first kisses, first dates, first failed tests, first college class, first time you drive a car, first time you ride a plane - first times were made to be imperfect. Just because it’s messy and all over the place, doesn’t mean it can’t be good or worthwhile.
8. You want another scoop of ice-cream? Go get it. Get three more scoops of ice-cream if that is what you want. “Fat” is not the opposite of beautiful and it is not the opposite of happy. Don’t let anyone tell you that your body type isn’t beautiful. Beauty is a social construct, create your own, become your own.
9. Let yourself be alone. Loneliness is not a bad thing. It is healthy and normal. Everyone needs to spend a good portion of their life alone. We learn who we are when we are alone; life is less crowded and more clear when we are alone.
10. If you aren’t happy where you are, change it. Quit your job, move, become a vegetarian, get a new hobby, pick up an old hobby, whatever you do - make sure it benefits you. Life is too short to not be alive, to not be passionate, and overflowing.
Last night I was at McDonald’s with one of my friend’s and that man started to randomly ask us questions like “how old are y’all?” And “do yall have boyfriends?” At first we were like what, why is he asking us and then five minutes later he said ” You know.. I have been married to the most amazing woman in the whole world for 52 years and we’ve been together for 55. But I don’t think there’s ever going to be another year after tonight or tomorrow night” ..by this time we just turned to him and starting listening to him. “You see, my sweet lady is in the hospital right now, she has cancer. I just came back from there right now and even with all of the tubes, she still looks so beautiful. Tomorrow is certain to be her last day if it doesn’t happen tonight and Im not going to church in the morning because I want to spend every waking moment with her by her side. I love her so much.. it hurts. I don’t know what I’m going to do without her. I don’t want to be without her.” ..by this time he had tears in his eyes, got up with struggle and said ” well it was nice talking to you ladies, but I have to go home to the dark to prepare and give this cheeseburger to my puppy.” And that was it, we just listened to him, and he left. This whole day I’ve been bothered because I have been complaining about how I can’t finish some damn essay while this man is about to or just lost his whole world.
This was a picture of a wall in a mental asylum.
It says "I did something terrible. I painted it … I can’t explain … I’m going crazy. There’s something following me…. It’s hurting me. I can hear it in my sleep… help me, help me, help me"